I am on my way home from Young Life’s New Staff and Winter Training. There were over 500 people gathered — what an inspiration. We have been given these great young staff . . . entrusted. Our great new staff have been given a call to ministry . . . entrusted. This is what today’s thought is about. Being entrusted . . .
“But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”
Sometimes I wonder if God doesn’t smile as he “gives” us and “entrusts” us with things, situations, relationships, and abilities. It reminds me of giving some money to my son at a snack shop with his friend to see if he would offer to share, or get a snack for his buddy. As we prepared for our wedding years ago I said to Marni, “If we get this china, (it was expensive), then I want to make sure we use it to bless and give hospitality to others.” I didn’t want, and quite frankly neither did Marni, to get all this china to sit in a closet stored away. We wanted to USE WHAT WAS ENTRUSTED to us.
It reminds me of the movie “Hoosiers” when Gene Hackman gets kicked out of the game on purpose and entrusts the coaching playbook to Shooter (Dennis Hopper). It was a moment when Shooter realizes that the coach was giving him a shot – to see what he would do with this moment.
How about you? What have you been ENTRUSTED with? Here are a couple of reflections on things you could be entrusted with that you are not realizing that they are being ENTRUSTED to you.
- Money. This could be personal or with your job. Are you making the best decisions with what has been given you? I have a friend that was called into the CEO’s office one time to go over an expense account from a business trip. It was amazing to think that this CEO of a large company was willing to really make sure that the company funds were being used WISELY.
- Relational Conversations. This week I was given the gift of multiple conversations. Hours of great conversations with people. At the end of this trip, and the end of each day, I would ask the question — “Did I use the time I had with these dear co-workers as well as I could?”
- Time. We all have the same number of hours, minutes, and seconds each day. Are we being wise with what has been given to us?
- People. We all have under our care, under our supervision, under our leadership people that we are being entrusted with. Are we doing for them all that we can to help them take their “next step.”
- Family. I knew I was going to be gone this week. So, this was the thinking behind some solid family time on Sunday. I want to maximize the great bride and kids that I have been entrusted with . . . how about you? Is it time for a date night? A breakfast with your kids? A walk? A night with a game and all “screens” put away?
Reflection 1: What have you been given from God? Have you paused lately to work through that list and be thankful and grateful?
Reflection 2: What are you sensing God is demanding from you, or entrusting you with, that you want to make sure you take care of?
Prayer: “Lord, help me to take all that you have given to me, and use it for your glory today, tomorrow, and forever!”