“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
Sticks closer than a brother . . . now in my world, that’s close! I have a brother – Paul Norman Scofield. Paul lives in Kansas, and works for the “Feds” as I always hear them referred to.
Let me take you back for a moment on a few vignettes:
- First child is born, who flies in? Paul.
- Need help putting a new deck at my house, who helps? Paul.
- Move to Houston; have a golf tourney, who plays? Paul.
- Put a sprinkler system in, it’s 105 outside, who leads? Paul.
- Move 30 rocks on a hillside in SD, who helps? Paul.
- Add a front patio with 1500 lbs. of Flagstone with whom? Paul.
- Who’s the first person to comment on my fledgling blog? Paul.
This Proverb today is about friends though, not about my brother, Paul. Here is what the point is – there are friends out there who are really there for you. They are like peanut butter on a spoon – it’s hard to get clean; it’s sticky!
Who are these people for you? They say when you are dying that there is a principle I heard of — 8, 3, and 1. Who is the small group (8) in your room when you are dying? Then, when the final days are really coming into focus who are the three at your bedside? And in the end, it’s just the one in front of your face.
Today is a good day to check in with those that “stick closer than a brother” and tell them how much you love them, are grateful, and even thank them.
Who are your 3? Let them know!
Bless you today!